What better way to look forward to breakfast in bed than waking up to this Dutch baby pancake topped with fresh strawberries and drizzled with chocolate and honey? Well, this Strawberry Rosewater Vanilla Dutch Baby is reason enough to look forward to beautiful sunny Saturday morning. Plus, it’s gluten free, dairy free and packed with protein!
Every time the weekend rolls around, I always look forward to creating an amazing breakfast or brunch platter. A yummy spread of waffles, pancakes, lots of fresh fruit, whipped cream, yogurt, eggs, avocado, mimosas, coffee and someone stop me before I keep going on and on. I mean, weekend breakfast or brunches are literally a thing I look forward to, because not only does it start your weekend off right, but it also creates a perfect Instagramable post, #brunchgoals.
Although this amazing breakfast spread sounds super grand, there’s only one tiny little hiccup, I live on my own in a small but lovely one bedroom-ish apartment, (I say “ish” because the only thing separating my bedroom from the rest of my apartment is a sliding door). So, with that being said, it wouldn’t be a good idea to create a big breakfast/brunch spread just for myself, although it is tempting…or maybe I should have a brunch party and invite all my hungry friends. I think that sounds like a better idea, done!
However, just because I’m not doing a grand breakfast spread doesn’t mean I can’t have a perfect Instagramable breakfast for one, and that’s where this Dutch baby come in. The addition of the rosewater was just perfect! The floral flavors from the rosewater combined with the fruitiness from the strawberries and the vanilla was just…everything. Then, drizzle some dark chocolate on top and finish it with a splash of honey? Come on, it’s only fair to say that I won breakfast with this strawberry rosewater vanilla Dutch baby! Oh, and for those of you who aren’t familiar with what a Dutch baby is, it’s basically a large crepe that you bake in a skillet. This Dutch baby is light, packed with protein, low sugar, yields about 2 servings, and of course, delish!
Don’t forget to tag @mydigitalkitchen or #mydigitalkitchen on Instagram or leave a comment below or on my Facebook page when you try this recipe. I’d love to see what you come up with!
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- *1 scoop vegan protein powder (I used Garden of Life Vanilla protein)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large free run eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure coconut oil
- 1 cup organic fresh strawberries, diced
- Raw honey, dark chocolate, or jam for serving
- Place flour, protein powder, milk, eggs, vanilla, rosewater and salt in a blender and blend for about 10-15 seconds. Let the batter rest for about half an hour in the blender.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425°F and place your oven safe skillet in the middle rack to warm up. Take half of your strawberries and chop them up. When the batter is ready and skillet is warm, remove the skillet from the oven and add coconut oil until it spreads and lightly sizzles. Place diced strawberries in the skillet and gently pour your batter until all the edges are covered.
- Bake the Dutch baby for 15-20 minutes until puffed and light brown. Top with remaining strawberries, dark chocolate and honey or topping of choice. Serve hot.