Say hello to my fancy pie! This Fig Blueberry Almond Galette is a flakey, sweet and healthy pastry to add to your breakfast or brunch menu!
Making this galette was one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had in my baking adventures. I mean it was a little strange how excited I got mainly because if we were to use technical terms, a galette is actually…just a pie. Well, historically, a galette is a traditional French delicacy which uses a crepe instead of a pie crust base and is filled with savory or sweet ingredients. So I’m not quite sure how the pie crust recipe came about, but you can definitely make a galette using a crepe, pie crust or even store bought puff pastry. However, since I encourage healthy baking and eating, I always prefer to make all my recipes from scratch!
Oh yeah! I haven’t told you guys why I got excited making this yummy galette. For starters, I love baking, and I absolutely love baking pies! So when I discovered that you could make a fancy French inspired pie without a pie pan, of course I was intrigued! I had never eaten or baked a galette until this moment, so I had no idea what it was supposed to taste like. Let’s just say eating this fig blueberry almond galette was like eating a flakey nutty crust filled with sweet and syrupy chunky fruit filling. The best part about this galette is how well it works as a breakfast or brunch item. You can even enjoy it as a dessert! Just top it with some whipped cream, ice cream, yogurt or any topping of choice and you will be on your way to French pie heavenly bliss…okay I’m done.
Like I stated earlier, you could use store bought puff pastry or even store bought pie crust to make this galette to make things easier, and I promise I won’t judge you. Life gets busy and sometimes if you’re baking for for a larger group of people, you most likely wouldn’t want to spend to much time in the kitchen. However, I always encourage baking from scratch simply because fresh is always best. Plus, it’s healthier, and you get to put in some extra TLC for the people you care about. Get your galette on people!
- For Crust:
- 1 /14 cups chilled spelt flour (or gluten free flour blend)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup ice water
- for Filling:
- 1 cup sliced figs (about 6 figs)
- ½ fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (for topping)
- For the crust, add flour and salt to a large bowl and mix. Cut in butter into the bowl and combine with a pastry blender until a coarse meal forms. In another small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, lemon juice and ice water and add to the flour mixture. Using your fingers, mix in the wet ingredients until large lumps form before patting it into a ball. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, toss figs, blueberries and sugar together.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured countertop, roll out the dough into a 12-14-inch round. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- Arrange the figs and blueberries over the dough, leaving a 2-inch gap around the borders of the dough. Fold the borders over the fruit filling pleating the edges to hold the filling together. Brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle the edges with sliced almonds.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.