I think its safe to say that the majority of people love pizza. Its cheesy texture, crispy thin or thick and doughy crust basically satisfies all cravings. However, why not experiment with some healthy alternatives just for fun?
This pizza isn’t your traditional pizza but it sure is yummy! The sweet potato crust isn’t your conventional pizza crust recipe because you may have to eat it with a fork, but it’s a healthier alternative with a unique twist of flavours! The crust is vegan, so you can definitely omit the cheese and top with vegan ingredients if you would like it 100% vegan. If you’ve been following me for a while (which i appreciate and I love all your faces), you’ll notice that i’ve made several pizza crust recipes using ingredients like cauliflower, eggplant, zucchini, sweet potato and even homemade regular pizza dough. The possibilities are endless! But this recipe is definitely one of my favourites so far because for starters, I love sweet potatoes!!
2 large sweet potatoes (peeled, cubed and boiled)
1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp warm water or 1 tbsp flax-meal
1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tbsp grape-seed oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup homemade pizza sauce
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red onions
Fresh oregano leaves
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a pizza pan with coconut oil, then top with parchment paper.
2. Add chia seeds and water in a small bowl and let it stand for 10 minutes. If using flax seeds, simply add it to the mashed sweet potato.
3. Add boiled and cubed potatoes into a large bowl and mash.
4. Add in chia and remaining ingredients and mix together until well combined. The sweet potato dough should be semi soft, not mushy.
5. Flatten sweet potato dough on the pizza pan until all edges are covered, about 1/3 inch thick.
6. Place the pizza in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
7. Remove the pizza from the oven (leave the oven on) and add the toppings. Return the pizza into the oven for another 5 minutes until the cheese and the toppings are set.
8. When ready, let it cool for about a minute before serving.