Cherries are in full bloom this season, so treat your palate to my Cherry Amaretto Clafoutis and feel good about it. Why? Because it’s free of refined sugars, low glycemic and oh so delicious.
Je suis de retour! You guys haven’t heard from me for a while, and that’s because two major life events have been going on, one of which is dealing with my accident recovery and the other writing my cookbook. Well, I have an exciting update! My recovery is coming along well, and I’ve successfully submitted my manuscript for my cookbook! It literally almost took my soul, that’s how tasking it was, but I am so honoured and excited and cannot wait to share the finished book with you guys in 2020. There’s still a lot more work to be done, but a huge part of the project is completed. Yay!
The first time I tried a clafoutis was in Montreal back in 2015 when I was visiting a friend. She made a blueberry clafoutis and I absolutely fell in love with it. A clafoutis is a French dessert that is a cross between a custard and a flan, which normally consists of fruits, particularly cherries or blueberries. Some people also use apples or pears in the fall. It’s a wonderful dessert to have with coffee, tea, after dinner, or whenever you feel like it, because it’s just that good, and really easy to make as well. I also find that some people don’t really know what it is, so if you want to surprise your dinner guests with something exciting or show off a little at a potluck, then this is right up your alley.
On a side note, did you know that cherries help you relax? Not only are they low glycemic and high in fibre, they are also a great source of melatonin, which is a hormone that relaxes you helps you sleep well. So if you needed a bedtime snack, a slice of this Cherry Amaretto Clafoutis would be your guilt free treat. It’s refined sugar free, low glycemic and high in fibre. You would want to eat this every single day.
- 2 cups fresh dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts, or almonds
- 3 eggs
- ½-2/3 cup monk fruit sweetener
- ½ cup stone ground multi-grain flour
- ⅛ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ a cup of unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup half and half or coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and butter an 8-inch round baking dish. Sprinkle with a little flour, then top with pitted cherries and walnuts and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, monk fruit, salt and flour until smooth.
- Add in almond milk, half and half,amaretto and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Pour mixture over cherries and walnuts and place in the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until brown around the edges and toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool. The clafoutis will deflate a little as it puffs up in the oven which is normal. Enjoy.