We know how hectic life can get when summer comes to an end and we’re all running around preparing ourselves to go back to school or work. Whether you’re a parent trying to map out quick lunches for the kids, or a teacher looking for a grab and go healthy lunch that can last you through the week. This Spicy Veggie Sausage and Shrimp Conchiglie with Andy Boy Produce broccoli rabe is a quick, healthy and easy option that can be enjoyed both as a side dish salad or a warm pasta meal for you and your whole family.
It’s hard to imagine that summer has come to an end and it’s already September. I know summers are always short, but this time it seemed shorter than usual. Although it would be nice to have an extra month of summer, I am more than ready for fall. I’m actually putting together a fall harvest theme in a couple of weeks in which I will be showcasing recipe platters using my favorite fall harvest crops. Stay tuned for that, it’s going to be pretty exciting.
I’m neither a teacher nor a student anymore (thank goodness), but I remember how frustrating it was not having the time to meal prep daily during the first couple of weeks when lectures resumed. I was running around from one lecture to another while occasionally stopping at Tim Hortons or Popeyes during my breaks and loading up on cholesterol and carbs. It wasn’t fun, and it took a toll on my mind, health and body. From stressful essays, assignments and exams to fast food and caffeine overloads, I couldn’t wait for this cycle to end.
Fast forward to the present, I wish I could go back to those university days and meal prep properly with recipes like this Spicy Veggie Sausage and Shrimp Conchiglie. Not only is it much healthier than fast food or restaurant food, but it’s very easy to prep for an entire week and also makes great lunches or dinners for your whole family.
I was asked to participate in the back to school campaign, sponsored by Andy Boy Produce. Although I have been compensated, all opinions are my own.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, blanched
- 500g conchiglie pasta, boiled
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 0.8 lb (380g) spicy vegan sausage, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower florets
- For Pesto:
- ¾ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all pesto ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth, then set aside. You should have the consistency of a smooth paste.
- Place a deep skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute veggie sausages until golden brown on each side, then remove the sausages and set aside. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and saute cauliflower florets until golden brown, then remove and set aside. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and saute shrimp, then add salt, pepper and almond milk.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 1 minute. Turn the heat off and add boiled conchiglie into the shrimp mixture, then add pesto and broccoli rabe and mix until all the conchiglie is coated with all the ingredients. Transfer conchiglie into a serving plate and top with cauliflower and veggie sausage. Enjoy.