If I ever have you over as a guest for game night and I don’t serve up these Sweet Potato Chickpea Skillet Nachos, then guess what? I’m really nach-yoo friend. See what I did there?
I can’t believe it’s already August! This summer literally feels like a blink rather than an actual season. I’m already back in jeans and cardigans and that freaks me out a little. But nonetheless, I have enjoyed the little bursts of sunshine we’ve had so far. Hopefully it stretches out a little while longer!
Nachos are a fun and delicious snack to serve during game night or any or any other occasion for that matter, because nachos are just awesome with all its cheesy goodness. For example, if you’re into UFC or boxing like I am, you’ll be doing two things in a couple of weeks; eating these sweet potato chickpea skillet nachos, and watching the Mayweather v. McGregor fight, which I will be doing!
Technically, sweet potato nachos aren’t exactly like the traditional nachos with tortilla chips. However, I figured I’d show you guys a healthier approach to nachos with this recipe, since this is indeed a healthy food blog 🙂 plus with the addition of the chickpeas, It adds a boost of protein, which kinda makes it a complete meal rather than a snack. It’s also in a skillet, so we might as well call this dinner 😉
The best part about these sweet potato skillet nachos is that they are vegetarian…. even with the cheese! vegetarian cheese is basically any cheese that is made without rennet, which is an enzyme found in the stomach of ruminant mammals like cows, goats and sheep. Eat up nacho lovers!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can chickpeas, unsalted
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- ¾ cup mushrooms
- 1 cup rennet free mozzarella cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a mandolin knife or a regular knife, slice the sweet potato into thin slices. This will ensure that the sweet potato forms a crisp. Toss the sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper and place them on the lined baking sheets. Transfer the sweet potatoes to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, flipping once.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, place a skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sautee onions. Mushrooms chickpeas and a dash of salt and pepper for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When ready, remove sweet potato from the oven and set your oven settings to broil. Lightly grease 2 mini cast iron skillet pans and layer with sweet potatoes, sautéed onions, mushrooms and grated mozzarella cheese. transfer the mini skillets to the oven and bake for 3 minutes, until the cheese sets.
- When ready, top with toppings of choice and serve.